Being a teacher is hard.
Not always for the reasons people normally assume: kids' attitudes, crappy parents all along the spectrum, unsupportive administration, stress, standardized testing. Don't get me wrong--all of those things can really s-u-c-k.
No, the hard part sometimes is that you meet students who are incredibly nice and talented. Kids who are never without a smile. Kids who have more potential and drive than you remember having at that age. Kids who actually cheer *you* up when you are having a tough time. Kids who are really going places, and are going to make this world a better place by growing up to be productive, positive adults. Kids you are proud to have known and seen graduate.
And then you learn that they have died.
At 19.
In a stupid Spring Break car wreck.
I've been FERPA-ized to the extent that I am not comfortable sharing the name of the student who passed away this week in this blog. If you want to read about the accident, you can look at the Houston Chronicle online here: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/4638790.html
If you pray, I'll ask that you keep the families of ALL THREE children who died in this wreck in your prayers. I only knew one, and this is really difficult for me to take.
All I can think of is his ever-present smile and how nice to me he was even though he was never my student. I can hear his voice and see every detail of his spiky haircut. I remember all the crazy ties he wore to go to his very grown-up job that he had after early release. I have seen him drive that car and thinking of it now mangled on the side of a freeway is almost more than I can comprehend.
All day I've been puttering and worrying about really inconsequential stuff. And then I learned about this kid, and it all just doesn't make sense any more. And it's all clear how inconsequential those little things are. And how fortunate we are for every precious moment we have to spend with loved ones. And how every moment we have is a gift. And how we need to make the most of it all.
I'm off to make more of some moments.
Saturday, March 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Oh Sabrina - what a horrible thing to have happened. My heart hurts for all the families involved...
oops - sorry, logged in with my old blogger account.
Sabrina that is so sad and my thoughts are with all the families involved.
Are we sure this is OUR guy?!?!?! I heard it on the news, but I never saw a picture. I just keep hoping it is someone else. I know they mention the girl's school, but are we sure he about him? Maybe it's a different one!!!! I just can't believe it. I am in denial, I know. But maybe it's someone else with the same name. It could happen. I had this young man when he was a freshman. He was amazing, still visited me year after year. I will keep them all in my prayers.
I'm so, so sorry. So terrible.
Sorry this post was such a downer. Thank you all for your thoughts.
Stiggs: I checked the CBHS graduation list from last year (I Googled--promise I don't have it out here on my laptop)and there was only one BT who graduated last year. I am so incredibly sad to think that we have lost such an amazing kid.
Post a Comment