Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Hazards of Having Healthy Acquaintances

So the other day I cruised on over to the grocery store to pick up two key items I needed for that night's dinner.
While in the freezer section I ran into a friend of a friend we've spent some time with. This chica rocks. She's a fantastic nutritionist and a personal trainer and a running coach and she runs like a 2 1/2 hour marathon PLUS she's a mommy to two darling girls. Whew! I'm tired just thinking about all that. Anyway. . .so I'm in the frozen foods section and see her and we stop and chat about the kids, etc. and she's telling me how she's going to appear on Great Day Houston tomorrow morning to do a bit on nutrition and what should and should not be in your fridge.
Um. . .did I mention what two items I went to the store to pick up?
That would be TATER TOTS and BEER.
I'm sure that falls under the "should not" category.
So as I slunk away and politely asked her not to look at what I was going to dig out of the freezer ten paces away. . . I was totally racked with guilt and shame about my dining choices for the evening. (I was making chili cheese dogs--a rare treat and just something fun we do every once in a blue moon.)
Anyway. . .I tend to think of myself as a pretty healthy person. Yeah, my eating habits can always improve, but can't everyone's? Except of course, my awesome friend here.
But it sucks when you are "outed" for being super unhealthy by one of your super-healthy friends. Oh well, it's no secret that junk food is totally my favorite, so this should come at no surprise.
And I love having healthy friends! They are a great influence.
Just no fun to go out to eat Mexican food with.
But back to the story. . .so the next morning I watched awesome goddess of all things nutritional on Great Day Houston and she ROCKED! And I was thrilled to see that I had most of the things I should have in my fridge and very few of the should not's. (I just can't use non-100% butter, people. It's just not right!!!) So I gained back a little of my dignity from the night before.
And then my husband came home with Girl Scout cookies.
It's the constant teeter-totter, balancing act of life. Tater tot, anyone?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

To make myself feel better - sometimes when I'm at the checkout line I look at everyone else's carts. And I feel better knowing I have TONS of fresh fruits and veges while the cart next to me has nothing but chips, and hamburger helper.

I suppose its all the moderation. Tater Tots every once in a while is okay in my book.

Aimee said...

Hmm - chili cheese dogs. I think I know what I'm making for dinner! (Expect no chili for me, just some yummy melted cheese).

Sabrina said...

Karmyn: Moderation, yes. But lots of fresh stuff!!
Aimee: Thanks for making me feel better!!!!!

ChrisB said...

Happy belated Birthday to your husband~ that cake looks wonderful.