Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Notes from the Swamp

People call them the "dog days" of summer.
Not even my dogs are finding any enjoyment right now.
August.
Ugh.
It's cruel and unusual punishment to live in the Houston area in August.
First, there's the heat. Brutal. Punishing. Hot and sticky heat.
Then, there's the humidity. Seriously, we all can breathe through our skin to some extent. There's a reason Texas is known for big hair.
And when you think it can't get any worse: the rain.
Sure, it's all good the first couple of days. You think: "Oh, finally, a respite from the heat. The air conditioner can stop running for a few minutes. Thank goodness."
But the rain doesn't just come down in a lovely afternoon shower. You have days and days of it. The kids go bananas. You're going bananas. Then the grass gets to growing like something out of Little Shop of Horrors and the worse is yet to come:
Que the mosquitoes. . .and the ants.
It's insult to injury.
I'd love to spend more time outside, but I truly fear the swarms of mosquitoes might carry me away. My neighbor said she's send out an Amber Alert for me and Zane the other day when we ventured down to the mailbox. In case we were abducted by those damned little buzzers.
Of course, I still have to get my runs in. And we are still attempting to go to the park. I tried just swatting. Then I gave up and put some low-percentage DEET bug spray on me and the kid.
The buggers STILL bit us.
Zane and I might as well have neon signs blinking "FREE BUFFET" on our foreheads.
And did I mention to ants?
After all the rain they are building up mountainous hills everywhere. And Zane is attracted to the ant hills like a magnet.
Needless to say, we are itchy and blotchy and splotchy over here.
While the heat actually seems to be more manageable these past few days, I've had enough. To quote my dear husband: "It's making you CRAZY."
The DH casually mentioned his company is staffing up for projects in Anchorage.
GET US ON THAT PROJECT, DUDE! I can't take it any more!!!
I'm not sure when I became such a tenderfoot, but I just can't handle the summer any more.
Calgon, take me away. . ..

6 comments:

Doreen said...

Well, you know what they say, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. The mosquitoes have been BAD! But let me tell you, winters are no walk in the park. Literally. Try being stuck inside because there's a big blizzard. Or it's so freezing cold you think your nose might fall off. Sure, you can dress warmly, but there comes a point where winter is no fun. You know, when it's been going on for 2 or 3 months and there's still snow on the ground... And that wasn't even Alaska! Unless you really love freezing cold, lots of snow, and days so short the sun barely comes up before it sets again, I'd reconsider. :p

Anonymous said...

Yup - that's why I love the NW...the summer is so much more tolerable. We have a little bit of heat, a little bit of humidity, and a little bit of bugs. (oh - and from what I hear, Alaska has its fair share of mosquitoes at times)

Sabrina said...

Yes, yes, I know, I know. I wouldn't know what to do with a "real" winter. And the dark Irish winter was no fun. And I've even heard about the Alaskan mosquitos. But a girl can dream about a cooler August somewhere, can't she?

Cynthia said...

Sounds brutal!

Aimee said...

Ugh, the pests! Ants, mosquitoes, YUCK!

Anonymous said...

If you want to try something other than DEET, stuff a couple of Bounce dryer sheets in your pockets (and Zane's) to ward off some of the mosquitos. While it seems to help with the mosquitos, it doesn't help with the ants :-(

Ugh!