Here are my kitchen rules:
I am not a cook.
I like "cooking" as long as it involves fewer than 6 ingredients and 15 minutes.
I like to cook in quantity. Quality is important, too. But I like big batches.
I refuse to cook things for breakfast unless it is a weekend. Then it is Dad's time to cook in the kitchen. And cooked things for breakfast are usually too fattening anyway.
Many of my recipes have been stolen from friends and/or family and then modified.
So here's my first offering:
Gloria's Taco Soup y mas
Ingredients (a very fluid concept for this recipe):
1 lb (or more) super lean ground beef
1 package taco seasoning mix
1 package Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning mix
1 large can diced or stewed tomatoes (the ones with the Mexican spices are nice, too)
2 cans Ro-tel tomatoes
1 can hominy, drained
1 can no sugar added corn, drained
1 can (or more) black beans, drained
1 can (or more) Ranch Style beans, drained (I like the ones with jalapenos)
1 can (or more) kidney beans
(Basically, you can do whatever you want with the bean combinations, but I usually use about 3 cans)
Optional things that would be nice additions if you have oodles of time:
chopped onion
chopped bell peppers
fresh diced tomatoes
fresh diced jalapenos
shredded cheese for garnish
In a very large pot, brown the beef and cook any fresh veggies that you are adding, if any. Once beef is browned, add all the rest of the cans and packets and mix thoroughly. Add at least one can-ful of water (I usually use the large tomato can). Bring to a boil, stirring when you think about it, then turn off heat and let cool as long as you want. This makes a ton and freezes very nicely. It's spicy, but not too bad, so kick it up a notch with the "Hot" Ro-tel if you want. Or add jalapenos or something.
I like to serve this with the baked Tostitos Scoops and the Tostitos queso from the jar. It doesn't kill Weight Watchers points and is really good all mixed in with the soup. And you have queso without making your crockpot a disgrossting mess. Or dealing with Velveeta, which frightens me. (It's not really food, is it???)
Or you could make cornbread and that would be really tasty. Yum. Cornbread. . ..
Did I really just suggest shredded cheese as a garnish? I am SO not a foodie. ..
4 comments:
YUMMY! looks good.
ANd cheese - dang, it normally takes two hands to grate (unless you buy the pre-grated variety). I usually get my husband to grate my cheese...that's his job.
Hmmm, I am not the biggest bean fan, and without the beans there isn't too much left. Oh well. I'd eat the corn bread!
Can't wait to see more recipes (perhaps without beans). I'll send you my Chicken Couscous, or have I done that already????
One-handed cookbook = best idea ever for busy mums!
Karmyn: I do not love grating cheese. Unless it's a nice parmesan. Yummmm. . .cheese!
Stiggs: I would love the chicken couscous. I know you gave it to me ages ago, but I do not know where it is. Would appreciate it!!!
GS: Totally agree!! And it must be spiral-bound so it opens neatly on the counter!
Post a Comment